Al Tompkins, the Poynter Institute’s Senior Faculty for Broadcast and Online, will be here on Friday March 24 and Saturday March 25 to conduct Producer Training seminars. He will focus on:
- Clear crisp writing that never wastes the viewers’ time
- The social media skills that every producer must know
- How to find information and story ideas that others miss
- How to think critically and get beyond press releases and staged event coverage How to find key motivators that will make teases and headlines attract viewers
- How to manage breaking news (including severe weather, hostage situations, school violence, gun crimes) aggressively and responsibly
- How to coach reporters, MMJs, anchors and photojournalists
- How to manage and lead difficult people
- How to make ethical decisions on deadline
Al Tompkins brings 43 years of journalistic experience to his teaching. He has taught in newsrooms big and small in 49 states, Canada, Egypt, South Africa, Iceland, Denmark and beyond. He has been awarded many of journalism’s highest honors including the Peabody, the national Emmy, 7 National Headliner awards, the American Bar Association Silver Gavel, The Japan Prize, the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Governor’s Award and the Robert F. Kennedy Award. Al has worked as a reporter, photojournalist, producer, anchor, investigative reporter, head of investigations and news director.
The same material will be presented atboth sessions, so you can choose to attend either Friday or Saturday.
Location: Hyatt Regency Hoover
Friday, March 24 10am-5pm
Saturday, March 25 9am-4pm*
*This is the day of the ABBY Awards dinner so we will start and end earlier to allow attendees time to prepare for the evening.
Cost: ABA Members $35 per person
Non-members $50 per person
Students and Instructors/Teachers $25 per person
LUNCH WILL NOT BE PROVIDED. The hotel is attached to the Riverchase Galleria with several food court options just outside the hotel’s mall exit. In addition, there are two restaurants in the hotel.
Contact Sharon Tinsley with questions.